Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Academic Probation

Students in Weinberg College can be placed on probation for any of the following reasons:

The assignment of probation is notice that progress toward the degree is unsatisfactory. It is not noted on the student's official transcript and does not jeopardize eligibility to participate in extra-curricular activities.

Responding to academic probation

If you receive notice that you are on academic probation, be sure to set up a meeting with your College Adviser by calling 847-491-8916. You and your adviser can explore reasons for your unsatisfactory performance and discuss what you might do differently in order to raise your performance level.

Removal from probation

Many students are removed from academic probation after just one quarter.

To qualify for removal from probation:

Grades of X, Y, and N are, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, all counted as F's in calculation of the GPA. In addition, students cannot be removed from probation at the end of a quarter in which they have earned an F in any course.

Dismissal from Northwestern

If you are on probation and you do not correct the academic deficiency within the period of probation—usually the subsequent quarter—you may be dismissed from the University. Dismissal is generally for a full year. Students who have occupied themselves constructively during that year can request re-entry to Weinberg College. For more information, see a College Adviser.

Back to top