Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Transferring Credit from Other Colleges

This information is for students who took college courses before they graduated from high school. The appropriate undergraduate school will decide whether Northwestern credit should be awarded for this work; all liberal arts credit is evaluated by Weinberg College, and professional credit is referred to the Schools of Education and Social Policy, Communication, Journalism, Music, and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, irrespective of the school in which the student enrolls.

Weinberg College will give you credit for liberal arts courses provided that all of the following conditions are met:

While these courses can give you credit toward graduation and, potentially, credit for some specific Northwestern courses, you should be aware that:

Entering first-year students who took college courses prior to being admitted to Northwestern need to do three things during the summer before their first year:

  1. Include information about these courses in your dossier in the section about your high school experience.
  2. Have an official transcript sent to Northwestern by the College or University where you took the course.
  3. Download the High School Credit Form, obtain the necessary signatures from high school and college personnel, and return it to the address indicated on the form as soon as possible.

If you submit the paperwork before you begin your studies at Northwestern, the appropriate credit should be posted on your transcript during late summer, and you should be able to see it once you can log into CAESAR

Back to top